Wednesday, September 2, 2015

The Generosity Gene


I wasn’t raised in a wealthy household.  My dad was the primary/only income earner for most of my growing up years.  He put in long hours to provide for his family of 5 kids. 
He had various jobs throughout his life, some of them providing a comfortable living, others of them barely paying the bills.
My dad grew up in poverty, essentially.  His dad abandoned the family leaving my grandma to raise four kids on her own back in the 1940’s.   No easy task.
And yet, for all of that, my father was an extremely generous man.  It didn’t matter how much he made, he always faithfully gave away 10% of his income.  On top of that, he had a running account called, The Lord’s Treasury.  That account held money set aside for special ministries he wanted to support over and above his 10%.
Even when dad had lost his job and we were barely making ends meet for a time, he continued to be generous in big and small ways.
I caught the bug early.  I discovered the Biblical promise that giving makes us cheerful people.  (I know the Bible says God loves a cheerful giver but here’s how it really works: Giving makes me cheerful so I give cheerfully!)
I’m convinced that we have all been created with a generosity gene because we’ve been created in the Image of God.  And the essence of God is generosity.  That generosity gene is begging to express itself!
I give because God invites me to.  I give because God has blessed me to.  I give because I want to be a part of something bigger than myself, something Epic, something bold, reckless, and transformational. 
And I have found that the best place to give is the local church.  That’s where the real action is.
Other ministries do great work for specific areas.  Only the local congregation does it all: Worship, Bible Studies, Prayer, Counseling, Education, Children and Youth work, Social Advocacy, Mission Work, Financial Assistance, etc.
The blessing or joy of giving comes in knowing that God has invited me to be a part of his work, and through my giving, to be a part of his work long after I’m gone.
For example, Jan and I have helped build three different church campuses in the Phoenix area.  Those three campuses will continue to bring the Gospel to people for generations.  God used us to help make that happen.  How can that not put a smile on your heart!
As your Pastor, I will never ask you to do something I’m not willing to do.  On the issue of giving, it’s a no-brainer for me.  I’ve seen the power of God’s grace through giving in my life.  My hope and prayer is to see it in your life as well. 
Let that generosity do its thing in your life and in the lives of those around you!

--Pastor Tim

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Tim, for your words. I was raised by my parents with the idea of 10% tithing and, at times, "double-tithing" was a concept we participated in together as a family. I am always amazed at how God provides, even when I don't know how it is all going to work out. God's blessings come in many different ways, that's for sure...

    ReplyDelete