Monday, October 26, 2015

Why I tithe... by "Christina"

A member of Community of Grace volunteered to be interviewed about why she chooses to tithe and how the spiritual discipline of tithing has impacted her life. Below is Christina's story in her own words...


1) How has tithing impacted your personal journey with Christ?

I think tithing has enhanced my journey with Christ. As a kid I always wanted to put money in the offering plate because it seemed like a fun game and as an adult it feels different. Now it's not only my choice to do so but my money I am giving. It's like being filled with so much joy you can't help but want to give more. It's never felt like an obligation or necessity more so as a desire to give back to God, my church and my community.

2) Has it been hard/difficult for you? Do you find that you "miss" the money or do you find yourself discovering ways in which the Lord cares for you that you never would have thought of?  If it is the latter, do you have a story or two that you would like to share?

It's not been as difficult as some people may anticipate. I have found that over time I've gotten used to living with less money and it's just second nature to give to God first. I don't find that I miss the money. In fact, I think I've been provided more opportunities to enrich the lives of others. By tithing I get to support my church and all the organizations they associate with. Additionally, I've been able to donate monthly to KLOVE radio and have even supported Extreme Faith Productions over the years I've tithed. In my time at Grace, I've even accepted the challenge to go above and beyond tithing to support the building fund. I believe that the building is the launch point in which we jump to make a difference in our community.

3) What has been the biggest impact tithing has had in your relationship with Christ?

I think the biggest thing tithing has shown me is that I am truly blessed with amazing family, friends and church. It has shaped me to be a generous person with not just my money but my time. When we started attending Grace, my family served communion almost every weekend. Now, I am involved with the mission work at Lake Pleasant Mobile Home Estates and teaching Sunday school. Tithing is more than just giving money to church - it's about being generous in every area of your life. It's about being present with family, encouraging your friends and being patient with kids. Each time I read a Bible story in Sunday school I see it in a different light because of the kids I'm reading it with. Tithing is about growing closer to God and setting an example for others. We are His hands and feet... we just need to listen to where He is leading us.

No comments:

Post a Comment